Please click here to see it now!
What happened last week:
We hope that everyone enjoyed the extra day with their family this Monday for Thanksgiving! We had our first Fire Drill and used the bells last Tuesday, and we were all very thankfull that the rain held off just long enough that our students didn’t get soaked. Thursday was the Norman Foote concert, which was a huge success. Thank you to all the parents and staff who made this event possible!! +
Friday Division 10, 13, and 14 enjoyed a Harvest Day celebration, with treats galore, and school staff have started a handball team during lunch recess for any interested Grade 5 students. Practices happen at lunch time, and Poirier will be hosting the first game at 3:15 on Tuesday, October 24th when our Grade 5 Girls’ team will play against Hans Helgesen.
What’s happening next week:
We will be collecting toonies for the Sooke Food Bank – please help us support the Food Bank and drop your toonie off in the office, either Monday or Tuesday. The Poirier PAC are meeting on Tuesday at 7pm in the music room – all Poirier parents are invited to attend. The more the merrier!
Thursday morning we’ll take part in the BC Great Shake Out earthquake drill – thank you to the volunteers who have already agreed to help out with some of our younger classes. And finally, Friday, schools are closed for a non-instructional day.
New Check-In and Parent/ Visitor procedure:
Poirier is updating its check-in procedure for students, parents and visitors to meet the standards for other schools in the District and Province. The main reasons for this update, is to have the safest environment possible for our students and staff, to know who is in the school at all times and to allow classrooms to function with minimal interruptions. Most students and families already follow these guidelines and the change will therefore be minor.
- Before school, students play in the supervised areas until the bells.
- Student’s line-up respectfully and quietly with their classmates at the first bell, awaiting entry through their classroom doors.
- Children who arrive after the bell, report to the office to get checked-in. They will sign their name on a list and receive a yellow checked-in slip to give to their teacher. These actions communicate to the classroom teacher that the office staff has recorded the child’s attendance.
- Students will go to their classrooms independently or with the assistance of a staff member/ older student to minimize the interruption to the classroom.
- Student’s whose class is in a modular report to the office, as well. We will make sure they find their way to the modular.
- In order to maintain a safe school, all visitors, including parents, must report to the office staff to explain the reason for their visit.
- If there is a prior arrangement to meet with a staff member, visitors will sign-in and be given a visitor’s pass that must be visible at all times. If you do not have a visitor pass, you will be redirected back to the office.
- Parents will drop-off and pick-up students from the outside classroom doors, not walk them through the school to the neighbourhood centers. Students who are arriving later or leaving early, will be dropped off or picked up at the office.
- Students will be paged to the office to talk to their parents, instead of parents going to classrooms.
- Parents will still be able to help with classroom activities at the discretion of the classroom teacher. Please check-in the office when you arrive, so that we know you are in the building in an emergency.
At École Poirier, we wish to create strong partnerships with our community members in order to foster a world of possibilities for our students and the school as a whole. We also recognize our duty to ensure a safe environment for the students and staff of the school. We understand this is a minor change for our school and thank you ahead of time for adjusting to our new guidelines.
A look ahead:
Tuesday, October 17th – Toonie Tuesday – help support our local food bank!
Tuesday, October 17th – PAC Meeting at 7pm in the music room
Thursday, October 19th – BC Great Shake Out Earthquake Drill
Thursday, October 19th – PAC hosted Family Dance, 6-8pm; $2 per kid, adults are FREE! There will also be a concession with food and glow sticks for sale.
Friday, October 20th – Schools are closed for a non-instructional day
Tuesday, October 24th – Poirier’s Girls’ Handball Team vs. Hans Helgesen at Poirier, 3:15pm
Please visit the school district website at http://www.sd62.bc.ca/parents/registration/ to register your student.
Please click on the link for an article on how to ease your child’s worries about starting or returning to school.
The online School Bus Registration has now re-opened to accommodate all late registrations. Students will be waitlisted until available space can be confirmed. The Transportation Department will do their best to schedule all waitlisted students on an available bus.
Students will be placed on available bus routes based on registration date.
Priority will be given to students new to SD62.
Letters with times and bus routes as assigned will be mailed out to late bus registrations if time permits.
Register for the bus at https://sd62.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Index
For information on how to register, please go to the district website Transportation page, see the user guides attached, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Students must be registered to ensure a seat on the school bus.